Safety is the number one concern of any homeowner. One of the simplest, yet most crucial, safeguards against disaster is to have smoke and CO detectors installed in all the rooms of your household. Fires are deadly! According the NFPA (Nation Fire Protection Association), in 2016 alone there were over 475,000 structure fires and nearly 3,000 civilian deaths as a result. Carbon monoxide (CO) is no less dangerous. Its gas is toxic inhaled and can permanently damage your health. Since carbon monoxide is both colorless and odorless, it is near impossible to detect without the proper device.
The ideal scenario is to install one smoke and CO detector in every room. Rooms with highest priority are those most likely to have a fire start. Prime areas are in the kitchen, the garage, and the basement near your furnace. At the very least, have one of each detector on every floor in your home. The more detectors installed, the better your chances of detection should danger occur. You also may want to link your alarms. This way, you will hear the warning no matter where you are in your home. When it comes to either of these deadly situations, the earlier you can be warned, the better.
Carbon monoxide detectors are triggered when carbon monoxide levels exceed their safety limit. There may be risk of poisoning, but you are warned before the fumes become fatal. When your alarm goes off, immediately inspect all family members for these signs:
Should any family member be showing any of these signs, seek medical attention. For your home, the CO safety level can be restored by ventilation. Open windows to let the fumes out while fresh air can replace it.
Whether you’re installing or needing maintenance for your smoke and CO detectors, reach out to Service City Air & Electric. We can make sure your home is the safest it can be for you and your family. Call today at 972-362-6338 to schedule an appointment today!